Gymnasio Zipariou is a public school on the island of Kos in the Aegean Sea. The school receives students from four small villages at a rural area around the city. It offers general secondary education and it has 25 teachers and 300 students, aged 12-15. The area of the school has received many immigrant and refugee families that work in the agricultural sector and the hotel industry. The students come from different social, financial and cultural backgrounds. The school aims at improving the education and the school life of all the students. The school promotes
1. Integration of all students. Differentiated learning, variety of activities, different pedagogical practices and support to weak students.
2. Active citizenship. The school supports social and personal development of students in order to prepare them as future citizens. There is an emphasis on school as a microcosm of society where students are expected to behave as active citizens.
3. Digital citizenship. The school provides guidance for students and their families in order to prepare them for the digital era in personal and professional level. Digital competences are considered basic for further development of students
4. Working together with families and community. The school has succeeded a close cooperation with guardians association and each family gets a special attention for the improvement of their children.
5. European projects to support European citizenship. The school aims at students and teachers mobility in order to support communication and combat xenophobia
Our school participates in various competitions, winning a variety of distinctions (1st place in Ancient Drama "Troyades", 1st place in Modern dance, 2nd place in Traditional dance, 1st place in Francophonie 2009-2010 with Song, 1st place in Francophony 2010-2011 with Song , distinctions in Painting competitions, Patents, etc.). The school and its teachers have previous experience in national pilot projects such as Environmental Education, Cultural Heritage and Extra Curricular projects.
We have no previous experience in Erasmus+ but working with other European schools to promote an interdisciplinary approach in teaching and to re design educational spaces and educational practices is one of our priorities.
GR School 3 Gymnasio Zipariou.pptx